This Week in History

Reader Contributing Staff 

Ad from July 19, 1926, Duluth Herald.

Duluth Herald
July 16, 1888
THE CEMETERY.
A Competent Headgardener Already Sent for and a Force of Men at Work.
A few weeks will see a great change at the new grounds of the Duluth Cemetery association. A small force of men is already at work cleaning out underbrush and opening the more important roads so that the cemetery may be used at once. The association has now sent to Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland, for John Brown, a cemetery superintendent of ten years’ experience and a thorough gardener, who will have exclusive charge of the grounds, and he will be on his way to Duluth in a few days. This man comes with the highest recommendations and with six children. He has been for two years headgardener in the Royal Botanic gardens of Glasgow. Since that time he has been in charge of the gardens of several English estates and for the past 10 years has been in charge of the Killnarnock cemetery where he has given the very best satisfaction. About 10 acres of ground have been secured for burial ground already and it is hoped that large additions to the area can soon be made. On the centre of the present site is a large mound susceptible of bold treatment and the whole site is admirably adapted both for ultimate beauty and convenience. Already the removal of bodies stored in the vault at Forest Hill has begun. As soon as the general plan is laid out all buried there will be moved. The county is at work on improvements along the Vermilion road leading to the grounds and in a few weeks the drive there will be one of the best in town.

Duluth Herald
July 17, 1896
SALT WATER SAILORS.
Talk of Organizing a Club Among Them.
J. C. Bush has been suggesting the organizaiton of a club of old salt water sailors, and the idea is received with favor by all of those who have been spoken to in reference to it. It was supposed that there were only a few in Duluth, but it seems that there are a good many, possibly thirty or forty. The idea in forming a club would be to get together now and then and tolk over old times and spin sea yarns. There is not in all the number who could not give more than one tale of adventure. Capt. Miller has hundreds of them, having had an eventful career at sea and been in almost every quarter of the globe. Capt. Lewis also has sailed all over the world and his memory is well preserved. Then there is Tom Brian, the custodian at city hall. He is as full of sea yarns as a fish is of water, and he can tell them in an inimitable style which challenges competition. There are many others who might be named. If the club is organized there will doubtless be a great demand for open meetings so that the public may be entertained by the interesting narratives and adventures which will be recounted.

Ad from July 23, 1956, Duluth Herald.

Duluth Herald
July 18, 1906
BEGINS TO
LAY RAILS
Street Railway Company Pushing Work on New Extension.
Up-Hill Line From Third Street to be Finished Soon.
The Duluth sreet railway company started a crew of men on the new extension of the track at Fifty-seventh avenue this morning. The rails will be laid from Grand avenue to Cody street, from which point they will be continued to fifty-ninth avenue. The street is paved with macadam, and has probably the best foundation of any street in the city, so the track will have the best bed to run on. The company will have the rails welded together, which will give the track greater strength and make riding smoother.

When the Great Northern Power company can furnish the power to the railway company it is said to be the plan of the latter concern to extend this road to Proctor. The company is very desirous of obtaining the Proctor business, as there is a very large number of the men employed there who make their homes in West Duluth, and also give the large population of that town quicker and safer transportation to Duluth.

Duluth Herald
July 19, 1916
I.W.W. IS AGAIN
ACTIVE IN DULUTH
That efforts will again be made to foment a strike among the Duluth dock—workers is evident. Harry E. McGuckin, former secretary of the I.W.W. local here, has been transferred to the range, and Edward Caldwell of Chicago is taking his place.
Elizabeth Gurley Flynn, prominent I.W.W. worker, may be in town tonight, and will speak at Sixth avenue west and Michigan street, if she arrives in time from Minneapolis. Several other meetings are also being scheduled for Mrs. Flynn.
An I.W.W. meeting was held last night by J.S. Randolph of Minneapolis. A plea for financial assistance brought about $20 for the striking miners on the range.

Ad from July 22, 1946, Duluth Herald.

Duluth Herald
July 20, 1926
Sells-Floto Circus Arrives And Builds Canvas City
Large Crowds at Wheeler Tract;
Many Big Features Seen in Main
and Side Shows.
The circus is here, and the Wheeler Tract showgrounds are crowded with the usual and the unusual; crowded with heavy orange wagons, with stakes and ropes, with long poles and vast spreads of canvas, and with everything that one could expect to find with a large circus.
The Sells-Floto circus and Buffalo Bill Wild West, the show that came to Duluth this morning, will give its final performance in this city this season tonight in the blaze of electric lights generated by the show’s own light plants; and this exhibition, starting at 8 o’clock, will be exactly the same as the one taking place this afternoon. The doors open one hour before each show, allowing every one ample time to see the cages of wild animals, the camels and monkeys, the two hippopotamus, the tribe of Souix Indians in their tepees, and feed peanuts to the three herds of elephants, all of which is in the large menagerie.

Many Spectacular Acts.
Erma Ward, the wonder girl, will present her colorful and unusual act, turning a hundred or more aerial somersaults in mid-air whirling by one wrist in the circle of colored light thrown upon her from a series of spotlights below; the little pygmy hippo will again be marched around the big arena with a monkey on its back; and “Poodles” Hannaford, the feature of the show, declared the greatest riding comedian in the world, the scream of the circus, with six others and the Hannaford horses, will throw the audience into roars of laughter while offering their original sensations in whirlwind bare-back riding.

Ad from July 20, 1926, Duluth Herald.

Duluth Herald
July 21, 1936
AWAIT DECISION
ON PAVING JOB
Residents in Gary and New Duluth are daily awaiting word regarding the proposed paving this summer of Commonwealth avenue, the main thoroughfare in that section of the city.
Officials of the Gary-New Duluth Advancement club have brought the matter to the attention of city council members, hoping that some action will be taken immediately which will result in work this summer on the project.
The entire situation is in the hands of the state highway department in St. Paul. The Duluth branch of that office has not received word relative to paving the avenue, designated as part of the state highway system.
Recently a delegation from the far western club attended a city council meeting and asked cooperation of that body. One official said this morning that nothing as yet has come of that request. Further action will probably be taken at a meeting of the Gary-New Duluth club Aug. 15 at the municipal fire hall.

A number of other street improvements are being sought by Gary and New Duluth residents, all of them being city projects probably to fall under the blanket WPA street improvement work when it is started here.

Duluth Herald
July 22, 1946
HOSPITAL
EXPANSION
APPROVED
County Board Okays Increase
For Nopeming
Expansion of facilities to provide space for an additional 50 beds at the Nopeming sanatorium as a part of the county’s program aimed at eradication of tuberculosis was approved today by the St. Louis County board at a meeting in the Duluth courthouse.
Indorsement of the county commissioners was in the form of a resolution adopted unanimously, authorizing the county sanatorium commission to employ an architext and prepare plans for the addition needed.
The board’s action was taken following the appearance of a committee headed by Paul H. Van Hoven, president of the Tuberculosis and Health Association of St. Loius County, which emphasized the imperative need for facilities in treatment of tuberculosis patients.
Approved by the county board was a proposal to build an additional floor onto the central hospital building (Chateau) for the needed 50 beds. An extension of the same building on the ground floor level only would provide the required office space.
Dr. Mario Fischer, Duluth city health director and treasurer of the county association, reviewing progress in combating tuberculosis, said that by October chest X-rays of about half of St. Louis county’s population will be completed, and that in the more than 100,000 examinations made 1.5 per cent of the persons have been found to have significant tuberculosis.

Dr. G. A. Hedberg, superintendent of the sanatorium, explained that although fewer cases may be discovered in a period some five years hence, that the need for beds at Nopeming would continue for some time because of constant follow-up treatments required.
Joseph Paszak, president of the Duluth Industrial Union (CIO), and Carl Swenson, secretary of the Federeated Trade assembly (AFL), also spoke in favor of the addition to the sanatorium, pointing out that in their labor groups there is full indorsement of health programs and the facilities would be needed in treatment of some veterans of World War II.

The sum of $100,000 has already been earmarked by the county board for the Nopeming program and an additional $100,000 would be required from 1947 tax receipts. The county association is in a position to loan $50,000 for the additional facilities, Dr. Fischer said.

Ad from July 21, 1936, Duluth Herald.

Duluth Herald
July 23, 1956
Board Oks
Superwood
Land Sale
Sale of bayfront property to Superwood, Duluth, was ordered made final by St. Louis county commissioners today, after Duluth port authority members withdrew objections.
County board members two weeks ago gave conditional approval to sale of four lots, making up a dock situated between Consolidated Elevator No. 1 and the Northwestern Hanna Fuel Co. dock off Garfield avenue, to Superwood Corp. for $10,000. Final approval of the sale hinged upon certification that the port authority had no objection to the sale.

Superwood sought the property as a storage site for pulp wood, needed in connection with expansion of its Railroad street plant which will double its output of hardboard.
Keneth Duncan, port authority chairman, told count board members today that the authority had no present estimate of what its needs for land will be when the St. Lawrence seaway is completed, but that viewing of the property in question indicated that it would be unsuitable for a public dock because of erosion damage and other undesirable features.

However, he said the port authorty would prefer a lease arrangement rather than outright sale of the land to Superwood Corp.
Superwood Corp. officials countered that financing of its program made a lease impractical.

Duluth Herald
July 25, 1966
The toe-tingling water of Lake Superior and the Duluth Harbor, the scenes of a host of Seaway Portorama activities Aug. 6 through 14, sends the current Miss Seaway scurrying for shore. Miss LaVonne Rae Englund frolics in the water to call attention to upcoming events such as endurance swim, scuba diving contest, canoe race, sailboat races, powerboat races and rowing regatta – all to be held off Park Point. Miss Englund will relinquish her crown at one of the 11-day celebration’s first major events, the Miss Seaway beauty and talent pageant scheduled at 8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 4, in Denfeld High School auditorium. The 1966 Portorama is being held simultaneously with grand opening activities of the Arena-Auditorium.